In order to know what treatment modality is going to resolve an issue, one has to have a basic understanding of the core theory and philosophy of each healing modality as well as a basic understanding of the root cause of one’s own problem. I’m going to list the common modalities and what I think their core theory or philosophy is, and where I think it is most effectively applied or not applied.
1. Modern medicine ie. allopathic medical industry - The core theory of modern medicine is that matter is all. The human is nothing more than an organic machine and the mind just a chemical processes shaped by evolution and the environment. Because of this, it is the theory that the cause of disease lies only in matter and the treatment must be material through surgery or chemical manipulation. This leads to the suppression of any physical appearance which causes pain or visual repugnance to the accepted standard. From this stand point, cure is when the visible pathology is not longer visible, or that continued use of drugs keeps the appearance of symptoms suppressed.
When to use? It is my opinion that modern medicine is most useful for problems which arise from a mechanical origin such as violent trauma to the body, or in a life threatening emergency due to poisoning, severe acute, or last stage chronic disease.
When not to use? It is my opinion that modern medicine is not the best rout for long term progressive disease or acute sickness which is not life threatening at the moment. It is not the rout for behavioral imbalances such as anxiety, depression, stress, fears, or anger. This is because violent, heroic, and suppressive treatments have consequences such as addiction, side effect, toxic damage, as well as serving to compound the original problem.
2. Chiropractic – The core theory of chiropractors is that disease is caused by the pinching of spinal nerves which restricts nerve currents to areas of the body, causing symptoms and leaving areas susceptible to disease. Though there is some acknowledgement of a life or vital force, their view of cause is still material in nature. Strangely, beyond injuries and bad posture, there is no explanation as to why people’s spine might be pinching on nerves. The treatment is to manipulate the spine into an ideal position which will release the pinch and allow full nerve energy flow, thus restoring health.
When to use? In my opinion, chiropractics is most useful for symptoms which are a result of mechanical injury and strain on the spine such as accidents, bad posture, and over work.
When not to use? In my opinion any structural symptoms which could be called chronic such as arthritis, chiropractic treatment can only bring temporary relief at best as it cannot correct the cause of the spine losing it’s structure. Chiropractics is also not applicable to any symptoms which are not spine related nor behavioral problems such as anxiety, depression, stress, fears, or anger. Improperly applied or misused treatments can result in injury to the spine.
3. Osteopathy - Osteopathy has a similar theory like Chiropractics except that the Osteopath puts more emphasis on the alignment of head bones. The same things apply to Osteopathy as I stated in Chiropractics. Modern Osteopaths also will be practicing alloapthy and naturopathy.
When to use? See chiropractic, allopathy and naturopathy.
4. Naturopathy - The basic theory of Naturopathy is to use natural methods to help the bodies own healing ability to cure disease. Because of this Naturopathy looks to diet, life style, nutrition, and the environment as being the cause of disease. This is still a materialistic view and the treatments are material. The Naturopath looks to see which of these physical things need to be changed which then allows the body to heal itself. Along with this comes the sale of supplements and various therapies for detoxing, building resistance, or relaxing the body.
When to use? In my opinion, Naturopathy is a good treatment for symptoms which arise from malnutrition or prolonged exposure to a toxic environment. It also offers some good complimentary treatment with Homeopathy to remove hindrances to cure such as detoxing or restricting exposure to aggravating factors. Treatments tend to be standardized and not highly individuated.
When not to use? In my opinion, true disease arises from a mistunement of the dynamic vital force so therefore any symptoms which arise from this cannot be cured by mechanical means. Many people cannot digest and assimilate their foods properly because of a chronic mistunement. Due to this, giving supplements does no good and can in fact do harm. Restricting the environment can relieve symptoms and slow down the progress of as true disease, but it cannot bring about a cure. Even if the consumption of supplements and herbs improves symptoms, if they come back when you stop using them, the issue cannot be called cured.
5. Acupuncture/Chinese Medicine – The theory of Acupuncture is that there is a vital energy force called “Chi” which gets hindered in its flow which can cause symptoms. The Acupuncturist treats by inserting needles in chi points around the body to release the blocks thus relieving they symptoms. Acupuncturists will always tell you that this treatment is for relief and does not bring permanent relief for many issues. Acupuncture is supposed to be used in compliment with Chinese medicine which is a method I don’t know too much about except that it still uses material means in the form of herbal formulas which help to bring balance to the chi in the organs.
When to use? Acupuncture can be useful non drug, non toxic relief while the body heals from injuries and minor inflammations. It is also to be used in conjunction with Chinese medicine for lasting results.
When not to use? It should not be used in conjunction with Homeopathy as it interferes with the energy flow in the body which can antidote Homeopathic remedies which are working with the vital force in a very specific way. It is not applicable to bringing permanent resolution to issues which arise from a chronic mistunement of the vital force as it only manipulates flow but does not resolve the core vibration causing the disordered flow of chi. It is not applicable to behavioral imbalances arising from inherited predisposition or childhood trauma.
6. Ayurveda – The best I can tell, this is a very ancient from and Naturopathy combined with Yoga theories of Doshas (constitutional types), and prana which is the chi in Chinese medicine and the vital force in Homeopathy.
When to use? It is a very good form of Holistic health care for many people until illness becomes quite serious. Like naturopathy, it is very focused in environmental and lifestyle factors so treatments can become quite elaborate and cumbersome with strict diets, body manipulation, herbal medicines, soothing therapies, and yoga.
When not to use? Ayerveda is not well suited to acute epidemic illness, emergency care or mental illness.
7. Homeopathy – The core tenants of Homeopathy are that disease has it’s origins in inherited miasm (a chronic mistunement of the vital force) which manifests as disorder in the behavior and sensation and functions of the body. Each case is unique and must be understand by investigation of mental, emotional, physical symptoms, along with exciting causes, to select the single Homeopathic medicine which produces similar symptoms in double blind proving studies. The Homeopathic medicine must be diluted and succussed to deliver the energy of the substance to the life force of the patient, thus it is energy to energy, not matter to matter. That the remedy must very exactly mirror the mistunement of the vital force to arouse a healing reaction. In the case of this type of treatment the underlying miasmatic susceptibility is remove allowing the entire person to heal, and not merely some single part.
When to use? Homeopathy is most useful in cases of people suffering any symptoms and dysfunctions, mentally, emotionally, or physically, arising from the miasmatic mistunement. It is also effective for people suffering from acute issues such as flu and minor injuries. Ultimately, the goal of Homeopathy is to cure the susceptibility which will greatly negate the possibility of life threatening situations arising in the future.
When not to use? Homeopathy is not the method you want to turn to in a life threatening emergency arising from injury, chronic, or acute disease. It’s not that there aren’t remedies which can help in these situations, but that the situation is too critical to take the time to find the best remedy. In the case of serious chronic disease where the functions of organs have been completely lost, Homeopathy can only be used in conjunction with modern medicine in cases such as diabetes, cancer, advanced high blood pressure, renal failure, or non functioning glands such as severe hypothyroid.
This blog has been my opinion and is how I approach my own health care and should not be construed as any kind of medical advice. I have put my opinion forward in hopes that it inspires you to give more thought on the causes and origins of disease and the type of treatment offered for people suffering from disease, in order that you may see which methods are applicable to your individual situation. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
All statements here are not claims to cure or treat any disease, provide any health benefit, are for educational and thoughtful purposes only, and are not medical advice. If you need medical advice, please seek a qualified health care provider.